Happy New Year! Two things everyone loves at the end of a year are countdown lists and New Year’s resolutions. My resolution is to do a better job at planning meals. My hope is that this leads to less take-out, better grocery shopping, packing my lunch more often (my big, audacious goal), and the ability to put together something easy and healthy for dinner on busy nights after driving home from teaching in Winston-Salem.
My unofficial internet research indicates that most New Year’s resolutions center around health and exercise. If your New Year’s resolution is to exercise more, January at the YWCA is the perfect place for you. This is where the countdown comes in. Here are my top ten reasons why you should come to the YWCA’s Fitness Center and make 2018 the year you want it to be:
10. We are offering over 15 new classes to our exercise schedule. Over 15! We have more classes around lunchtime and after 6:00pm. My guess is that one or more of the new classes fits into your busy routine. Check out the schedule here.
9. Options. We have spin classes (new Keiser spin bikes coming this month!), yoga, Pilates, HIIT (high intensity interval training), water aerobics, and more. Not into group exercise? We have a cardio room, a weight room, and an indoor heated pool.
8. Quick Classes. Quick classes are 15-minute, instructor-led workouts with a specific focus. For example, you could do a Quick Sculpt and Tone and then work off the burn with some laps in the pool. Or maybe all you had was 15 minutes, and that’s ok, too. Some of the best advice I have received was from a mentor who told me to do what I can with the time I have. Any exercise is better than no exercise.
7. Child care. We are extending our child care hours. Children from six months to 12 years old are covered with your membership from 9:00am – 12:00pm Monday through Friday and from 5:00pm – 7:30pm Monday through Thursday. I have a three-year-old, so this one is critical for me; I can work out AND take a shower while she is playing happily with new friends.
6. It can be free. Free! Well, for four days. Visit the front desk to activate a free four-day pass and after that, you can save 20% if you join for the whole year in January. Fine print here for #7 – if you are using the free pass, you will need to pay $5 per child for child care.
5. Options (this is a theme). Maybe you are not ready to commit to the whole year. We do not charge a joining or cancellation fee, so month-to-month is just fine.
4. Our instructors are excellent. If starting a new class intimidates you, I recommend introducing yourself to the instructor a few minutes before class starts. First, you are no longer new – now you know someone – and also, you can tell the instructor about any reservations you might have. I have some old injuries, so I like to let a new instructor know that I may improvise if something doesn’t feel good or I know I shouldn’t do it. It’s good gym etiquette and a great way to get to know your teacher.
3. The new locker rooms are going to be ready! We have brand new lights, tile, lockers, showers, dry saunas and more. It seriously feels like a spa in there!
2. You will feel great. And I’m not just talking about the way that exercise makes everything better. The YWCA Fitness Center has a special feel, and it is contagious. Making new friends in class will encourage you to come back.
1. We are not just a gym. The YWCA’s mission is to eliminate racism and empower women. We offer temporary housing for women and families, and we provide after-school literacy programs. Who doesn’t feel great about that?
So, there are no excuses. 2018 is going to be the year that you stick to your New Year’s resolution, and I hope it is off to a great start. See you at the gym!
Learn more about the YWCA Fitness Center.