Women In Transition
YWCA Provides Safe, Affordable Housing
Our Women In Transition (WIT) Program provides safe, affordable, transitional housing and intensive support services for single unaccompanied women who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. WIT is not an emergency shelter but a month-to-month lease where participants pay rent and stay up to a maximum of 18 months. As part of the program, participants have access to services including: case management, computer instruction, career counseling, financial planning services, educational workshops, access to our fitness center and social activities. Our goal is to support our participants while they gain the skills and resources necessary to attain permanent housing upon exiting the program, adequate income and savings to sustain long-term housing and improve their sense of self-worth and well-being.
In FY 2017/2018, 95% of our participants successfully eliminated at least one identified permanent housing barrier and 83% successfully moved into permanent housing upon exiting the program. Of our participants who were six or twelve months post-exit at the time of surveying, 100% remained permanently housed!
Participation in our program is by referral only. Referrals come from our partner agencies such as emergency and domestic violence shelters, substance abuse treatment programs, hospitals, and mental health facilities. YWCA Central Carolinas also participates in Coordinated Assessment.
• Unaccompanied woman with no dependent children
• At least 18 years of age
• A reliable source of income sufficient to pay monthly rent and meet other financial obligations. Current economic conditions indicate the need for a minimum of $700 per month net income
• Acceptable sources of income are wages from employment, social security benefits (i.e., SSI, SSDI, retirement), pension, or verified unemployment benefits continuing for at least four months
• The motivation and ability to make positive life changes; a fit between a woman’s needs and the level of supportive services offered by WIT
• The ability to function in a minimally supervised group living situation without intensive or frequent monitoring
- Affordable housing and utilities at below-market rates of $310, $345 or $360 monthly
- Supportive case management in the development and achievement of housing, career, financial, health and personal goals
- A resource center with computers, internet access, e-mail, fax, online tutorials and a library
- Educational and self-improvement workshops, tutoring sessions and social events facilitated by volunteers
- Referrals to appropriate community resources as needed
- Membership to the on-site Fitness Center
Review our Women In Transition Brochure for a program description, referral process and quick facts. For general program information or to cancel an appointment, contact: Bambi Ahad, Administrative Assistant for Transitional Housing at 980.585.0501 or email@example.com
If you are submitting a referral for a client, please complete the program application and fax with a case summary and your agency’s signed consent for release of information to Bambi Ahad, Administrative Assistant for Transitional Housing, 704-521-9684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete referrals will not be placed on the waitlist.