Our YWCA: Founded in 1902
A Fresh New Look! Exceeding our $1.1 mil capital campaign goal, YWCA completely renovates the Co-ed Fitness Center locker rooms (showers, lockers, saunas and changing areas) PLUS purchases new spin and cardio gym equipment and chemically cleans and re-grouts the pool.
After school and summer enrichment programs are established for children whose families receive public assistance. Efforts are made to include additional federally funded childcare. The Phyllis Wheatly Branch merges with the general YWCA.
YWCA creates the Business Women’s Employment Council to assist women in their work efforts during WWI. YWCA opens Charlotte’s first childcare center at Highland Park Mill. The Phyllis Wheatly Branch of the YWCA is established for African American women and girls and is one of the first YWCA branches for African Americans in the U.S.
YWCA moves to East Trade Street. Further opportunities are created for women to learn about law, city government, banking, nursing and sales. Later, an employment bureau for women is established.
YWCA’s first mission is to meet the needs of women who move into the city to work in textile mills. YWCA’s location on West Fifth Street provides housing for 12 women and includes recreational and educational programs. By 1911, classes develop into a night school.